Table of Contents
List of publications by W.J. Slater
Section 1: Myth and Cult
1. Pelasgians (Robert Fowler)
2. Art, Myth and Reality: Xenophantos' Lekythos rexamined (Margaret C. Miller)
3. Lenaea vases in context (Richard Hamilton)
4. The dolphins of Dionysus (Eric Csapo)
Section II: Theatre
5. The chorus in Greek Satyrplay (Bernd Seidensticker)
6. Hypermestra and Lynkeus (Erika Simon)
7. Hypsipyle and Athens (Martin Cropp)
8. Orestes the Ephebe (John R. Porter)
9. Speculations on the tragic poet Sthenelus and a comic vase in Richmond (J. Richard Green)
10. Up-staging Greek tragedy: the use (and abuse) of genre? (Robert Garland)
Section III: The Written Word
11. Literate and wealthy women in archaic Greece: the case of the 'Telesstas Hydria' (Matthias Steinhart)
12. The topic of envy and emulation in an agonistic inscription from Oenoanda (Matthew W. Dickie)
13. Aeso's encounter with Isis and the Muses, and the origins of the Life of Aesop (Noel Robertson)
Reviews & Quotes
"The book is carefully produced...contains 91 black and white illustrations, an essential addition to a book that draws so extensively from decorative art...
The interdisciplinary nature of this volume provides a stimulating survey of poetic, religious and artistic representations and their association with their social and cultural contexts. The general high quality of the essays makes this volume a welcome do/sis to a deserving teacher and scholar of Classics.'"
Bryn Mawr Classical Review ()
"Bill Slater should be well pleased with these tributes.'"
Ancient West & East (2005)