St Gregory's Priory, Northgate, Canterbury. Excavations 1988-1991 [Hardback]

Martin Hicks (Author); Alison Hicks (Author)

Regular Price: £55.00

Special Price: £14.95

OR
ISBN: 9781870545044 | Published by: Canterbury Archaeological Trust | Series: Archaeology of Canterbury | Volume: 2 | Year of Publication: 2001 | Language: English 431p, 156 b/w figs and pls, tbs




St Gregory's Priory, Northgate, Canterbury. Excavations 1988-1991

Details

A detailed report on excavations carried out at the site of St Gregory's Priory that revealed two major ecclesiastical buildings. The earliest church, founded by Archbishop Lanfranc in AD 1084 became a priory in 1133; it was rebuilt after a great fire in 1145, probably under the patronage of Archbishop Theobald, and was eventually dissolved in 1537. This large report outlines the historical and archaeological sequence at the site, describing the remains of the various structures recovered (including the church, chapter house, cloister, infirmary, refectory, courtyards), the architectural fragments and small finds.

Product Tags

Use spaces to separate tags. Use single quotes (') for phrases.